iptiQ is a risk tech start-up within Swiss Re Group. Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
iptiQ provides digital, bespoke and transparent L&H and P&C protection products in a B2B2C manner. Founded in 2014, we’re transforming the way consumers buy insurance with a unique digital insurance engine which incorporates the latest technology with world-class underwriting capabilities. We build strong partnerships to sell insurance via trusted brands.
Our success depends on our ability to build an inclusive culture encouraging fresh perspectives and innovative thinking. iptiQ embraces a workplace where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive and develop professionally regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, skillset, thought or other characteristics. In our inclusive and flexible environment everyone can bring their authentic selves to work.
About the role:
As the Appointed Actuary for the Luxembourg legal entity, you would be responsible for the valuation and reporting of the insurance liabilities across a range of different bases. In addition, the team head is part of the product development and approval process for a growing range of iptiQ products, which span numerous European countries, with a focus on digital distribution. You would be a part of the Risk Management leadership for the global iptiQ function, and benefits from the experience and knowledge of being part of Swiss Re’s global Risk Management community.
As iptiQ is a growing business with new products being launched each year, this role will suit a dynamic and versatile actuary who has the capability to develop new processes in a changing environment, and one who enjoys close and active collaboration with functions outside of valuation (e.g. Pricing, Product Development and Finance). The role offers much room to design and develop efficient processes to support the rapidly growing iptiQ portfolio, within a digital and data-driven organisation. Effective collaboration with relevant expert functions across Swiss Re Group is an important lever to get results. Convincing communication of valuation results and trends with a strategic perspective to the iptiQ EMEA Leadership Team, Board of Directors, iptiQ Reserving Committee as well as to iptiQ’s Global Executive Management Team is key.
In this role you will:
- provide leadership and direction to the EMEA L&H actuarial function as well as manage its processes in close collaboration with Finance and the Valuation Operations team;
- report iptiQ EMEA’s liability valuations on different bases (Luxembourg stat, US GAAP and in the future IFRS, Solvency II, EVM);
- provide actuarial input for the IFRS transition, including methodology decisions relating to the iptiQ portfolio;
- ensure the iptiQ EMEA Leadership Team and the iptiQ EMEA L&H Board of Directors are provided with in-depth actuarial views of iptiQ EMEA’s technical provisions;
- liaise with other iptiQ functions such as Finance, Products, Underwriting and Claims, as well as with global Risk Management and Actuarial functions to ensure that iptiQ’s valuations are appropriate, factor in relevant insights and follow Swiss Re Group reserving principles;
- support the regulatory reporting activities in conjunction with the Finance, Legal and the broader Risk Management functions;
- collaborate with the actuarial Valuations Operations team to understand and interpret the reserve figures, and ensure the correct modelling of new products;
- review experience analyses and key actuarial assumptions which underpin the long term profitability of iptiQ’s business and lead the process to propose and present reserving assumptions to the iptiQ Reserving Committee;
- ensure an appropriate control framework is in place that matches with the business requirements;
- develop and maintain deep knowledge of insurance practices and market developments in Europe, in particular in Germany, the Netherlands, the UK, and Ireland.
- provide actuarial assessments of new transactions and compile technical notes for new and existing products.
- University degree; mathematics, statistics, actuarial science or related field with proven mathematical skills and analytical ability;
- Qualified actuary (e.g. French Association of Actuaries or equivalent);
- Work experience of 10+ years in L&H (re-)insurance and/or consulting environment with actuarial focus;
- Excellent understanding of Luxembourg statutory, Solvency II and IFRS reserving for L&H business, good knowledge of US GAAP;
- Keen appreciation of sound risk management and Solvency II requirements;
- Well organized, motivated teammate and comfortable in a multi-cultural environment;
- Strong verbal and written communication: communicate complex issues to others in a clear and concise way;
- Proficient in English; French is an advantage
We are looking forward to your application!
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. Our aim is to live visible and invisible diversity – diversity of age, race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, physical abilities, personalities and experiences – at all levels and in all functions and regions. We also collaborate in a flexible working environment, providing you with a compelling degree of autonomy to decide how, when and where to carry out your tasks.
We provide feedback to all candidates via email. If you have not heard back from us, please check your spam folder.
- Address 2 Rue Edward Steichen, Luxembourg
- Experience Level Senior